Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snarky and Sexy Molly Harper's Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs

Molly Harper's books first caught my eye when fellow book blogger K.C. from Smokin' Hot Books posted this book as one of her favorite vampire romances next to two of my other fav's Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series and Chloe Neil's Chicagoland vampire series. And I was so happy I did pick this book up (or download it as the case may be). Although it doesn't have the same ass kicking and taking names heroines as in the other two series, Jane Jameson has alot of other attributes to offer like snarkiness, bad luck, and the awkwardness that the rest of us non-ass-kickers have to face on a day to day basis. Check out my review below and let me know what you think - do you prefer the ass kicking heroines or the more plain Jane?

Maybe it was the Shenanigans gift certificate that put her over the edge. When children's librarian and self-professed nice girl Jane Jameson is fired by her beastly boss and handed twenty-five dollars in potato skins instead of a severance check, she goes on a bender that's sure to become Half Moon Hollow legend. On her way home, she's mistaken for a deer, shot, and left for dead. And thanks to the mysterious stranger she met while chugging neon-colored cocktails, she wakes up with a decidedly unladylike thirst for blood.

Jane is now the latest recipient of a gift basket from the Newly Undead Welcoming Committee, and her life-after-lifestyle is taking some getting used to. Her recently deceased favorite aunt is now her ghostly roommate. She has to fake breathing and endure daytime hours to avoid coming out of the coffin to her family. She's forced to forgo her favorite down-home Southern cooking for bags of O negative. Her relationship with her sexy, mercurial vampire sire keeps running hot and cold. And if all that wasn't enough, it looks like someone in Half Moon Hollow is trying to frame her for a series of vampire murders. What's a nice undead girl to do?

 I loved Jane - both her internal snarky dialogue and what came out of her mouth cracked me up. She was definitely not born with the ability to filter. At some points I was giggling so hard while I was reading in bed I was afraid that I would wake the hubby up. I also liked the little knowledge bombs from The Guide for the Newly Undead at the beginning of each chapter. One of my favorite knowledge bombs is from the first chapter: Vampirism: (n) 1.The condition of being a vampire, marked by the need to ingest blood and extreme vulnerability of sunlight. 2. The act of preying upon others for financial or emotional gain. 3. A gigantic pain in the butt. I think that about sums up what she becomes, what she faces during the book, and what her undead life has become.

Another gem in this book were the secondary characters. Jane's interactions with her friends and family as well as the new people she meets were hilarious. I loved Zeb, her best friend. Not only is Jane having to deal with her change to becoming a member of the undead but she also has to deal with Zeb having a girlfriend and her new vampire mental abilities that let her have a little too much insight into that relationship. I also thought Dick Cheney (nope not former vp, this vampire was born first) was great, who doesn't need a lecherous new friend. Jane's sire and love interest, Mr. Tall, Dark, and Yummy Gabriel remained sexy yet mysterious, I'm looking forward to seeing how that relationship develops in future books. 

And the women in Jane's family were a whole bag o' crazy. My jaw dropped at some of the antics her Grandmother, Mama, and sister got up too. Boy am I glad I don't have a Southern mother that can lay on the guilt as thick as gravy on a chicken-fried steak. The setting for this book is definitely as rich as the characters, the small town antics reminding me of my own childhood in a small town (shudder!).

Overall I give this book a 4 out of 5, the snarky dialogue and ridiculous situations Jane finds herself in were great, The next book Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men is already on my to-be read list.

3 comments:

Smokinhotbooks said...

OMG book 3 Jane's Mom starches her jeans and Jane says, internally "I was walking like John Wayne into the bookstore" I died, literally died from lol-ing. Book 2 has a super funny scene where Jane is having it out with her Mom at her Grandma's hubby funeral...I won't spoil it but God I snorted so loud I got the "are you okay look" from my husband.

So glad you liked this series!!!

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

I was giggling when Gabriel replaced Zeb's memories with him scoring the winning touchdown in a pick-up football game..when he doesn't play football..or the outfit Zeb chose to wear when Jane comes over after being turned..and the fight scene was pretty awesome too...so many good ones!

Great recommendation - I definitely getting the rest of the books!

Anonymous said...

This book in my to be purchased pile, I am looking forward to it. I also came to it through Smokin. Nice review, I do love the Snarky.

Post a Comment