Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weekend wrap-up: In my mailbox / On my blog/ In the blogosphere

First of all if you haven't had a chance to enter yet or if you want to tell me about your tattoos head over to my post and review about Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione and leave a comment. The contest will be over next Sunday and so far there are 21 entrants and a few people stopped by to say "Hi". Thanks for all your responses so far, this is one of my favorite things about blogging is connecting with people over books (opps sorry for the mushy stuff). I have to say that so far we are a heavily tattooed bunch! Out of those who responded about having tattoos, 40% have ink and the most popular places were on the back either in the middle or on the shoulder (okay, I'm a science student, I can't help but do statistics). I think that's awesome! If you haven't seen it yet, the SciFiGuy did a cute video of tattooed book cover heroines and book cover heroines in general that's pretty amusing, you can check it out here.

This week I posted two reviews one for J.A. Saare's book Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between which is a urban fantasy/paranormal romance with a big twist at the end so go check out the book then come back her and tell me what you think!

The other review was for Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione which I loved! If you want to be my book reading buddy for the rest of the series let me know - it's always fun to have someone to discuss the hotness of the demon brothers with.


Unfortunately no new books in my mailbox this week but it leaves me with the opportunity to read the books I have in my to be read pile and I have alot. I would take a picture of the pile but since most of it is on my ereader I just don't feel like it would have the same effect as a picture of a big pile of books. I just have a big pile of files.


On the blogosphere this week there has been a few things that came up that as a blogger I thought were interesting. First was the blog affiliate program. As a new blogger I am constantly struggling with how to promote my blog so like-minded people will find me and we can have fun and snarky chats about books. Also as a new book blogger I'm still trying to figure out how do I set-up my blog, what widgets do I want, etc. and I need less of an affiliate and more of a mentor I think. Affiliates give you a way to cross promote blogs posts, contests, and reviews on each others blog from what I understand. For more on the topic check out the post over at Wicked Lil' Pixie's blog and Mindful Musing's blog. Both bloggers have been great to me and Mindful Musings even featured me with a couple other blogs in her New Blog Finds post which I greatly appreciate! So what's your take on the affiliates program?

Another thing that lit up twitter at least this week was authors lashing out at the writers of bad reviews for their books. So not cool. Though I can see in some cases where reviewers go over the top (I once read a review where the writer had broken down each book paragraph in a chapter by what was wrong with it) but in this case the bad review was reasonable and the author was over the top. You can check out a post about it here. I hope I don't end up reading a book that gets one star from me, but if I do hopefully the author can respect my opinion and not go crazy angry devil on me.

There's also a great contest over at the Good, Bad, and Unread blog where you can write a crazy fan letter to win prizes (Including a Larissa Ione book) I think their example is hilarious and I'm going to be concocting my own letter soon. And make sure to check out this weeks WTFckery post about bad covers over at Babbling about Books blog - there's one called "Super Fetus" - really? That's a book title?

I'm also changing and adding features to my blog this week (like the March releases side panel) so let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Ooh I like the releases side panel, I can have a quick check whenever I come here! Thats great!

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

@Jen - Thanks! If I miss any or got any wrong let me know!

The Book Guru said...

I am a new blogger myself. Just over one month and I am surprised every day by the amount of people following and commenting on my blog!! As far as affiliates go I am not sure yet how I feel about them. Natalie at Mindful Musings has also been really great and my follower count jumped within 24hr of her mentioning my blog on hers. I tend to link to other peoples blogs in my posts when they are doing something I feel is note worthy. I would like to have more bloggers to talk to and to do fun book bloggy things with but I'm shy and new so we'll see. Love Parajunkies design! She did mine to and I love it as well. I completely get what your saying about the widgets and I actually figured out what ones I wanted by going to other book bloggers sites to see what they had. My favorite is the amazon book one you can see on my web site on the top right.

Love your blog and blog design. Happy reading!

Lindsey - The Book Guru

Post a Comment