Sunday, January 24, 2010

A realization long overdue

I recently (six months ago) got a sony reader from my husband. I love it! I can browse books and reviews from the comfort of my couch and I love being able to instantly download books (I'm all about instant gratification). Therefore I rarely go and peruse the shelves of my local bookstore anymore. After finding many new and exciting authors on-line and discovering there are a few that don't publish in ebook format I went to my local bookstore again after a long bookstore hiatus and guess what I discovered...many of the books that featured the strong and sexy heroines I loved were actually shelved in the romance books section! I couldn't believe it. As a daughter of an avid romance book reader, I figured that romance books were too "girly" with simpering weak heroines and tough alpha males that make everything all right after some climax in which they find out that despite all their best efforts to deny it they love each other...and then of course proceed to make wild passionate love to each other. Instead I find out some of my favorite books belong to the romance section. For example, I love Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series - it is dark, filled with action, and there is not always a happy ending - and these books were found in the romance section..though with Cat and Bones steamy love scenes I can kind of understand why. What I'm trying to say is that with my ebook reader in my hands I am willing to read in genres unknown to me previously and I'm loving every minute of it. And now with my ebook reader I sit on the bus while I go to work and no one will know that I'm reading about the moment the tough as nails heroine gives her heart to the alpha werewolf while battling fierce enemies and covered in goo.

No comments:

Post a Comment