Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Review of Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler - Love the snarky half-selkie!

Title: Tracking the Tempest (Jane True #2)
Author: Nicole Peeler
Pages: 320 pages, paperback
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Standalone/Series: Series
Release: June 29th/ July 1st
Publisher: Orbit
Received for review by publisher at BEA
Author info:  http://www.nicolepeeler.com/ and Twitter @NicolePeeler
Spoiler Alert: Spoilers for book 1
GoodReads Blurb: Valentine's Day is fast approaching, and Ryu - Jane's bloodsucking boyfriend - can't let a major holiday go by without getting all gratuitous. An overwhelming dose of boyfriend interference and a last-minute ticket to Boston later, and Jane's life is thrown off course.

Ryu's well-intentioned plans create mayhem, and Jane winds up embroiled in an investigation involving a spree of gruesome killings. All the evidence points towards another Halfling, much to Jane's surprise... 


Jane True is a half-selkie after my own heart – she gives smutty paranormal romances to a horny succubus and has an internal monologue that has me snorting in hysterics. In this entry into the Jane True series (The first book Tempest Rising is a favorite of mine), Jane takes off on a romantic get-away with her hot vampire boyfriend, Ryu, for Valentine’s day weekend. Unfortunately, Jane in her typical uncoordinated form stumbles into some problems of her own that end up following her back to Rockabill. Now Jane’s fears of her supernatural life putting her normal mortal friends and family in danger looks like they might come true.

Jane has dealt with a lot in the past few months, from learning that the a supernatural world exists to learning that she half belongs to it, to also finding out that there are some factions out there that just want to kill her because she is a halfling. The paranormal world is still a secret to mortals in Ms. Peeler’s novel and she has created a rich landscape that includes many different paranormal beings, the rules that govern them, and the territories they can exist in. I think it is one of my favorite parts of the Jane True novels, all the different creatures that exist and we meet new ones with each novel. Another favorite is Jane’s inner dialogue – she is so snarky and self-depricating it is hilarious and I have to admit I love her pop cultural references – it makes me love the books even more because you never know what’s going to come out of her mouth or her thoughts. And lastly I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the men in Jane’s life, Ryu her hot vampire lover is always good for a sexy romp and Anyan – her protector and friend. There are some interesting developments in both these relationships that I can’t wait to read more about in the next novel.

4 out of 5 stars, Jane True is an awesome half-selkie ball of sexiness and snark!

7 comments:

Smokinhotbooks said...

I love the cover on this one.

Nice review H!

Tori [Book Faery] said...

I've been wanting to read this series! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

@K.C. I love the covers! I know they turn off some people but I also like that once you read the book you can figure out what all the different illustrations represent from the book.

@Tori - I loved the first one - there is this scene where she gets the "Smooth Operator" song from Sade in her head when Ryu puts the moves on her that makes me crack up so bad!

Mandi said...

Great review..this one sounds like my type of book.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

This sounds like a good read. Ah, I have this on my wishlist!!

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

@Mandi - I think you would love Ms. Peeler's since of humor - it kind of reminds me of the Molly Harper books!

@Melissa - so much to read and never enough time :D !!

Angelique said...

I'm reading this one right now, LOVE Jane!

Post a Comment